from wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit|
Everyone likes grilled cheese, but how do you make one when you only have a campfire? Follow this easy solution and you're on your way to a very tasty camping treat.
- Start a campfire. It does not need to be very large, but it cooks the sandwich faster.
- Assemble your ingredients.
- Find a forked stick. It should be about 3 feet long, with two forks at least 4 inches long, about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Either peel off or burn off the bark from the forks.
- Butter the bottom and top slice if preferred. Some say that this prevents burning and helps the cheese melt smoother. It also makes it taste very good.
- Place the bottom slice of bread on the forks.
- Put your cheese on the bread. Sliced is preferred, but you can also use grated if you exercise caution by holding the stick still.
- Place the top slice of bread over the cheese.
- Hold sandwich about 4 inches above TOP of where fire reaches, not the low points.
- Cook one side as desired.
- Carefully pull back and hand flip sandwich to other side.
- Cook other side as desired. It will not need to be cooked as long, because it got some residual heat from the first side.
- Make sure you check to see that your stick is not rotten.
- Try and do this before it is completely dark outside. Even though the fire will illuminate, it is still very difficult to see your ingredients.
- Have fun! You can add other ingredients like ham, bacon, and other meats. If you want to add veggies, put them on after you have cooked the sandwich.
- Exercise fire safety! A good sandwich is little comfort when you have just destroyed 249 acres of land.
- Do not put your stick in the fire to cook the sandwich. Not only will it burn, your stick can break and the sandwich will fall into the fire.
- Fire is hot! When you first take your sandwich out from above the fire, wait about 30 seconds for it to cool.
- Do not try to put shoes or any other articles of clothing in the fire for ANY reason. That's just dumb.
Things You'll Need
- 2 slices of bread
- Cheese (Grated or Sliced)
- A fire
- Butter (optional)
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Make Grilled Cheese on a Stick. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.