from wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit|
Blowing over a blade of grass stretched between your thumbs makes a high-pitched squealing noise that often attracts predators. Done long enough, it can lure animals such as mountain lions, coyotes and lynx close. It can also keep bored kids busy in the back yard for quite a while.
- Select a blade of grass. Thin blades of grass work best, but they need to be flat, not round. Very wide blades of grass that have a crease don't work as well either. In other words, bermuda grass works great, but be sure to use the blades, not the stems.
- Hold one end of the blade of grass between the tips of your thumbs. With your thumbs slightly bent, press the bases of both thumbs together, catching the other end of the grass between them.
- Carefully straighten your thumbs out to pull the blade of grass taut. If you pull it too taut, it will snap and you'll have to start over.
- Purse your lips slightly, put them right up against your thumbs and blow so that the air goes between your thumbs and over the blade of grass. It should make a high-pitched whistle sound.
- Get two pieces of grass of the same width and length. Or take a thick piece of grass and fold it.
- Hold the two pieces of grass on top of each other using the thumb and forefinger of each hand.
- Stretch the blades of grass taut.
- Blow between the two pieces of grass.
- Relax or stretch the blades of grass as needed to make the best sounds.
- If you don't get the right sound, try making the grass more taut or even less taut. It can take some practice.
- Practice this without others around at first, because when you're learning, you might just end up making a whole lot of spit.
- This can be very irritating to some people.
- If the blade of grass is sharp, it may cut your lip.
- If you want to call in an animal, be aware that it can take a half hour or more of constant calling. The squealing sounds like a small animal in distress.
Article provided by wikiHow, a collaborative writing project to build the world's largest, highest quality how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Whistle Using Grass. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.